What is an API?
In layman's terms, an API is an agreement between two people stating: "If you give me this instruction, I will perform this action, or return this information".
In computer programming, An API is a list of commands as well as the format of those commands that one program can send to another. It is used so that individual programs can communicate with one another directly in terms of its operations, inputs, outputs, and underlying types.
In a nutshell, the API specifies how software components should interact.
In the world of app development today, almost all powerful apps are powered by numerous highly specialized APIs, each API developed to serve a specific function for delivering stunning results. Further development of an API- enabled application can be carried out using the API itself.
How can a well thought out strategy for API development benefit your business?
- Custom API development enables web communities to create an open architecture enabling the sharing of content and data between apps and communities.
- There are many businesses out there that build software and tools that rely on pulling data from open APIs to help streamline a business process in some new way. In fact, without APIs, Sprout, as we know it, would cease to exist.
- Publishing an API helps develop a stronger brand status for your company.
- APIs are also important for the businesses that provide them, because third-party developers build out applications that further the use of the company’s core product. This saves the API provider both time and money.
- Quite simply, developing APIs for your business enables you to dynamically share and post content created at a particular location, to multiple locations around the web instantaneously!
What is REST?
Representational State Transfer. It describes how one system can communicate state with another. One example would be the state of a product (its name, description etc) represented as XML, JSON, or plain text. The generalized idea of state is termed a resource.
REST is an architecture style for designing networked applications. The idea is that, rather than using complex mechanisms such as CORBA, RPC or SOAP to connect between machines, simple HTTP is used to make calls between machines.
Need an API? We have you covered.
Stepin solutions is capable of highly specialized API development. We can build high performance APIs suited to varying business models and ensuring their seamless integration with powerful business apps. Stepin solutions provides full REST/JSON based API implementation and related apps with best practices.The entire process of API development followed at Stepin Solutions, is thoroughly planned and well structured. The end product more than fits your needs perfectly!
There are literally thousands of different APIs available that can be used via XML, SOAP, Rest, JSON, CSV, Excel Spreadsheet, and a variety of other means in order to automate your processes, integrate third parties systems and add value to your website.
Please get in touch if you like to know more about how APIs could benefit your business please Contact us.